The Trick To Keeping Ants Away From Your Lehi Property
May 14, 2021 - Ants
As a rule, everyone knows about the dangerous pests that strike fear in property owners. However, most pests are simple nuisances that don't cause harm to the property or the people on the premises. However, that doesn't mean they belong inside your Lehi, UT property. One pest that loves to invade is the ant. While there are over 700 species in the country, the ones you need to worry about most in Lehi, UT are:
- Pavement Ant: This ant lives in a large colony and gets its name from its habit of nesting in the soil near sidewalks, driveways, foundations, and other similar locations.
- Carpenter Ant: A larger ant than most, this is one you have to watch out for when above all others in this list. This ant tunnels through wood, which means costly damage in your future if left unchecked.
- Harvester Ant: This ant is aggressive and will gladly bite and sting people if they feel threatened.
Field Ant: These are large ants that usually live outside, but will often invade in droves in search of food.
Why Do It Yourself (DIY) Ant Control Rarely Works
Ultimately, the most effective way to handle an existing ant population is to invest in professional ant control services. This is largely due to DIY solutions not being as effective as needed. While it's true that many sprays or chemicals will eliminate individual ants, the fact remains that the entire colony has to be treated.
Since colonies run deep, the average person can’t get rid of the entire infestation. Another reason why it's difficult lies in their habits. Ants will go out and forage for food and water. Once found, they bring their prize back to the colony. This is a problem for two reasons:
- Lack Of Tracking: Most people don't have the time to track where ants take their food and water, which means finding the colony is usually a matter of luck.
- Pheromones: During their travels, ants leave behind pheromones that other ants use to find their way back and forth. Unless you clean away the pheromone trail, the ants will never stop coming and going. Make sure to clean the trail with soap and water plus cleaners to ensure all traces are removed.
For these reasons, the best way to remain protected is to take advantage of some handy prevention tips, which we have provided below:
- Eliminate Water Access: Ants, like other insects, thrive on water. Without a readily available source, they won't make your property their home. Repair leaking pipes, clear any clogged gutters, and remove standing water to stay protected.
- Remove Food Sources: Ants are more than happy to eat your food, which includes crumbs, juices, and a lot more. Any item is fair game, so if you store your food properly and clean up any mess, the ants will quickly move on from your home.
Effective Ant Control With All States Lawn And Pest
Ants aren't fun to deal with, since it seems like their population never ends. In fairness, that's pretty true. For this reason, our team at All States Lawn and Pest are here for you from start to finish.
To start, we always perform an inspection to identify the type of ant on the premises and the extent of the infestation. Once the inspection is finished, we perform the initial treatment and lay the groundwork for follow-up visits, so your ant problem is a thing of the past. If you need ant control services, reach out to our team at All States Lawn and Pest today to explore your ant control options.